Here are what ekiga developers want to work on for 4.2 release:
- fix freeze on quit on some Windows machines, associated to a crash of x264 helper
- I'm sure that when you come back from hibernation, Ekiga does not behave well. I need to reproduce it. Seems to be simply because it tries to register before STUN result.
- use current technologies:
- HAL is deprecated and should be replaced
- GTK+ 2 code should be converted to GTK+ 3
- GConf should be replaced by GSettings (and its DConf back-end on Linux)
- I should take care of the upgrade of ekiga.net (kamailio, asterisk, ....)
- fix ekiga.net bugs in bugzilla, some of them are trivial
- ekiga.net's LDAP latin1->utf-8
- some GStreamer progress
- include T140
- documentation and website: I think we should clean things up. Our main website has a few difficult parts:
- the download section is weird: it redirects to the wiki and I think it is awfully complex to download the software. We should probably only have direct download links to the sources and windows releases
- The main wiki should be improved and cleaned up. I think having the manual in the wiki is a mistake. We should update (and I'll do it) the main manual in Ekiga so that it is translated in several languages but not duplicate things. The wiki should help debugging, not document the usage of Ekiga.
- Low power consumption: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=591627
TODO for 4.4 release:
- be based on v12 of ptlib/opal.
- communication encryption
- IPv6 support
- TCP support for SIP: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341518
- Get the wiki a dress ! Maybe we can use some CSS magic to have a more navigable wiki. (should be similar to main ekiga.org website)
- create main menu link to this wiki (main)
- create direct links to this wiki (#installation) PARTIALLY -> repositories per distro needed
- from all pertinent download pages
- integrate ekiga.org with ekiga.net
- Privacy for ekiga.net: please provide valuable infos.
- Ekiga behind a NAT : please review this.
- Add RSS feed to the wiki.
- Documentation for AEC and Silence detection (where?)
- Full documentation for compile options (ptlib, opal and ekiga) needed. (including defaults)
CHANGELOG: Let's try to define priorities:
People involving in changes: - "main menu" in the mediawiki system is something to research. Is the mediawiki able to do that on its own or do it require intervention in the code or templates (involving Damien and us)?
- See http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Linux_Users changes. Work needs to be done, but a place as been assigned if i get your idea right.
- Icons; is this related to the overall design of the wiki (main menu)?
- .org and .net integration require the work on the css/website ekiga.net, involving Damien and Fabian D.
- Damien, would it be hard to setup a forum? As an alternative, we could easily set up a yahoo group just for this purpose, which makes it easier to find questions/solutions, and it doesn't leave tons of email in your inbox...
EXTRA IDEAS: I backup the idea of a forum, this would help support internationalisation of the documentation and would provide newcomers a more convenient way to get infos/ask questions than the ml (all history and possibility of respond is available in one place Vs your email client and the archive mailling list...). Issue may be it is another place for devs to survey... To solve this we may set up a team to "filter" contents and only ask devs help when necessary. As we are happy few this would probably have to be done by Natasha and I. I'm use to that form of support as it is already what I do on the french ubuntu forum...This is a great way to learn Yannick
Another reason is stuff like sound support in Linux, webcam support in Linux: it is very hard to have only one page explaining how to solve all the trouble you could get with those. A forum will help taking care of those problems in a much better way...